FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is the definition of home schooling in Texas?
What are the Texas state requirements to home school?
- The instruction must be bona fide (i.e., not a sham).
- The curriculum must be in visual form (e.g., books, workbooks, video monitor).
- The curriculum must include the five basic subjects of reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics, and good citizenship.
What are the graduation requirements?
Other than the above-listed Texas state requirements, the curriculum choices and graduation requirements are at the parent’s discretion. However, the Texas Education Association Recommended High School Program consists of 26 credits. If your child is college bound, it is suggested that you follow these recommendations.
The Core Recommended Course Sample is:
- 4 credits of English/Language Arts
- 4 credits of Mathematics, including Algebra I, II, and Geometry
- 4 credits of Science, including Biology, Chemistry, and Physics
- 4 credits of Social Studies, including World History, World Geography, U.S. History, ½ credit Government, ½ credit Economics
- 1 credit of Physical Education
- ½ credit of Speech
- 1 credit of Fine Arts
- 5 ½ credits of Electives
- 2 credits of Foreign Language Studies
How The Training Center can help.
The parent, or person standing in parental authority, might choose to contract with The Training Center for their child to take one or more classes. The Training Center will then provide instruction, daily assignments, labs, testing and/or grading in specific classes. Although TTC may provide instruction in one or more areas of the student’s education, The Training Center does not replace the parent in overseeing the child’s education. The Training Center is a valuable tool to assist parents who have chosen to home school their children at home by providing quality outside classes.
How does The Training Center work if my child only attends once a week?
Students receive instruction, daily assignments, labs, testing and/or grading in their classes. The other days of the week they complete the assignments at home under the supervision of their parents.
The Training Center provides the grades to the parents. The parents, in turn, are responsible for keeping the grades and producing the transcript. The Training Center does not keep grades or records from year to year and does not send records to schools. There are several templates available online which can be used. (Link to examples of typical transcripts)
Can my child take everything they need at The Training Center?
The focus of The Training Center is assist parents by offering various core classes. There will certainly be other courses or electives that the parent may choose to do at home or elsewhere.
Can my child take only one class at The Training Center?
Is there a limit on the number of classes my child can take?
Why are most classes for several grade levels?
How can you teach 4-6 grades together in one class?
Do you provide a study hall?
Can my student hang out and visit before or after their classes?
Is there a dress code?
Yes, please refer to this link (link to dress code)
What if the student comes out of dress code?
Do students have homework?
What do the students do for lunch?
How and when do I register?
To register for a class, please:
- Please print a Family Agreement 2017-2018 form and return with your $50 FAMILY membership fee. TTC’s mailing address for both campuses is: The Training Center, P.O. Box 1122, Conroe, TX 77305.
- Fill out a Class Registration Form and mail with your post-dated July 1st and August 1st payments, along with any supply fee, to the class teacher (see the teacher page on the website for address and contact info).
Please note: Mrs. Garza and Club Explore have their own specific registration forms. These may be found on the website under the Registration Information.
3) If T-shirts are needed, please print and fill out a T-Shirt Order Form and mail your check along with the Family Agreement, so that T-shirts will be ready for you at orientation. See T-shirt Information for your class color options. Note: TTC T-shirts are required to wear to class.